Monday, January 14, 2013

Problem?

Deepak Chopra says "Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you're happy for a reason, you're in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you." Logically, I know this to be true. When one places too much weight and purpose with a person, place, or thing, one is inevitability predisposed to heartache. This, to me, is a very frustrating concept.
Though I understand it, I find it's execution impossible. I sit and ponder the thought of purposeless, reasonless happiness and quiet frankly, I call bullshit. I look around me. My home. My family. My pup. The weather. The water, the sand. Without these things, these reasons, there would be no happiness in my heart. Obviously the thought of losing these wondrous gifts saddens me, which I suppose, could be considered a problem. But when I look around me and allow the magnitude of the glory that is my life, I realize that that beauty wouldn't exist were it not for the pieces that form it. No offense to Deepak, but his words ring hallow in my ears. There's a great skill in adaptability. Being a silver lining kind of girl, being able to make the best of a bad situation is second nature to me. But through this adaptability, through all of the life that I have lead to this very point in time, I find only reaffirmation for my theory. Be happy BECAUSE of what you are given. When you are low, find good. When you are lonely, allow compassion. When you are sad, seek comfort... Just remember that the people, places, and things that offer you solace are, in and of themselves, blessings. I refuse to believe that finding happiness through my surroundings makes me any less enlightened. I will never acknowledge that if the smile on my face is there because of a specific person that it is somehow less pure than a smile just because... Maybe I am in trouble. Maybe I'm destined to lose and therefore, to hurt. Maybe, just maybe, I don't care. I'm gonna ride this smile like a wave. When it breaks, when my ride is over, and this smile fades I'll be evermore grateful for the time I spent riding it. Just for today I am a happy girl. Stay up Deepak, you can't be right all the time ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment